There are many questions in an expecting parent’s mind. ‘Boy or girl’ is usually the first. Then ‘breast feeding or formula?’ Then ‘public school or private?’ On that daunting list of decision, parents may also want to consider Outside Now Nature Academy.
Outside Now is a small private school dedicated to teaching more than just your usual reading and ‘rithmetic. It is a secondary level school that focuses on environmental issues, sustainability, the wilderness, and connection with wildlife based out of SLO. It’s a very hands-on program taught by experienced instructors who are immensely passionate about the environment. In addition to the Nature Academy, they offer a preschool program called Sandpipers, for children ages 3-5.
Some things your little duckling will learn about:
- Natural systems and eco-literacy
- Sustainability and permaculture principles
- Applied and traditional mathematics
- Literature and creative writing
- History, world cultures, and current events
- Leadership, conflict resolution, and group process
- Wilderness survival skills
- Bird language
- Animal tracking
- Edible and medicinal plants
- Basic woodworking and building techniques
- Fine arts and native crafting
- Growing and cooking healthy food
Even if you don’t have children of your own, and you like what they’re doing, contributions can be made on their website or at various fundraising events, including Dare To Wear Green-Fundraising Gala and Silent Auction, Saturday, March 19th. You might even win an item from Bambu Batu!
For more information about the instructors, curriculum, goals and tuition fees, visit Outside Now online.