Posts Tagged ‘stir fry’
Pandas aren’t the only creatures who enjoy a good bamboo snack. Humans have been using the young shoots and sap of the plant for thousands of years in stir fries, curries, dumplings, and even wines and vinegars. Luckily, we don’t have to forage as far as pandas to find our bamboo, and can pick up canned, sliced, tender shoots in the Asian foods aisle of our local grocery store.
Looking for an unusual dish to impress a crowd of culinary connoisseurs at a Memorial Day potluck? Consider the following:1 lb. fresh spinach 1/2 cup peanut, vegetable, or corn oil 1/4 cup finely shredded bamboo shoots 1 1/2 teaspoons salt 2 teaspoons sugar 1 teaspoon sesame oil
1. Wash leaves with cold water and drain well.
2. Using a medium-high flame, heat the oil in a pan or skillet. Cook the bamboo shoots for about half a minute while stirring constantly.
3. Add the spinach leaves and stir until wilted.
4. Add the salt and sugar and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
5. Add sesame oil and stir for half a minute.
6. Transfer to plate without adding excess liquid from the pan. Enjoy!